|2 Oct 2022
|Reciprocal Club Features
Paul Cheesman, Honorary Secretary, writes:
The British Club Bangkok is a private members club in the Central Business District in downtown Bangkok, Thailand. We were founded in 1903 as a British businessmen’s and diplomat’s club but have developed over the past 119 years to be ‘the social, sports & cultural centre for the English speaking community in Bangkok’. Our present Clubhouse was opened in 1910 and we received our Clubhouse land as a gift from H.M. King Vajiravudh of Siam in 1914.
In 1919 we took over the adjacent Bangkok Lawn Tennis Club. In 2019, we were honoured when the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office moved the British War Memorial (dedicated in 1923) from the old British Embassy site to our grounds and it was unveiled by the First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Anthony Radakin CB ADC.
Membership is upon being proposed and seconded by two full members in good standing, and after interview and election by the General Committee. Although our dominant membership is Australian, British, Canadian and New Zealanders, we do have an extensive Associate membership covering 53 nationalities and, all in all, we have a record 1,318 memberships – just over 3,200 Members, spouses and children.
Often called ‘an oasis in the heart of Bangkok’ we have a compact range of sports and dining facilities on our 14,000m² city centre site – with a British Pub, a fine dining restaurant, a family food & play room, a balcony bar (which allows smoking), a sports bar, an open-air Sala restaurant and a garden café. In addition, we have four tennis courts, two glass-backed squash courts, a snooker room, cricket nets, adult and children swimming pools, a children’s playground, a fitness centre overlooking the pool (shown above), a dance studio, a non-electronic games room and a multi-purpose sports court … all set in landscaped gardens.
A copy of our latest monthly magazine may be found at https://www.britishclubbangkok.org/outpost-magazine/september-2022/ and a collection of pictures of the club and its facilities can be seen below.